Our speck has a smoky robustness that is bold enough to take on the big flavors of nutritious bitter greens. Toasted walnuts add crunch and crumbled blue cheese adds richness to this salad, which can either stand as a meal on its own or complement wintery dishes with rich flavors like braised meats or pasta.
- 2 ounces sliced La Quercia Speck
- 1 bunch dandelion greens
- 1 head radicchio
- 1 head escarole
- 3⁄4 cup walnut halves and pieces
- 1/2 cup mild blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, lay out slices of speck or prosciutto side by side. On a second baking sheet, spread out walnuts in a single layer. Bake prosciutto and walnuts until prosciutto is crispy and walnuts are toasted and fragrant, 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine shallot, honey, vinegar, and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and allow to sit. Wash and dry dandelion, radicchio, and escarole and trim into bite sized pieces, discarding any thick stems. To the vinegar and shallot mixture, whisk in extra virgin olive oil. Add greens, toasted walnuts, and blue cheese. Crumble cooled prosciutto over top. Toss to combine and serve.